Get a Service Dog
Eligibility for a Service Dog
If you are a veteran or first responder who is interested in applying for a service dog, please review the following information to determine if you meet our eligibility requirements.
You have served in any of the branches of the U.S. Armed Forces from any era, and have received an honorable or a general (under honorable conditions) discharge.
- You are a first responder who has a work related disability.
- You are visually or hearing impaired or physically disabled.
- You can participate in our two-week training program and will be committed to our training program and schedule.
- You are dedicated to maintaining the dog’s training throughout the life of the team and can provide for the well-being of the dog, approximately $100 per month.
- You are able to meet the physical and emotional needs of a dog, and have an appropriate support system in place to do so if/when you are unable to yourself.
Also eligible are professionals working with Military organizations that provide physical or mental health care to clients who will benefit from interaction with an Assistance Dog.
Our PTSD service dog program is limited to veterans with combat-related PTSD and first-responders with work-related PTSD.
Eligibility for a Guide Dog
If you are a veteran or first responder who is interested in applying for a guide dog, please review the following information to determine if you meet our eligibility requirements.
- We accept residents of the United States who are classified as legally or totally blind.
- We require that each student have the ability to independently travel using their current mobility device.
- Applicants must also be physically able to work with a guide dog and also be able to care for their dog.
If an applicant has successfully completed O & M training within the past several years, we will request an O & M instructor's report. Some exceptions to residency are considered on a case-by-case basis.
How much does a service dog cost?
All services are provided at no cost to clients
— this includes your dog, transportation to and from our campus in Smithtown, NY, instruction, and more.
If you have any questions about our programs, please reach out to the America's VetDogs Consumer Service office at 866-282-8047 or ConsumerServices@VetDogs.org